What is Descriptive Writing?
Descriptive writing is a type of essay paper that discusses the topic in detail, along with facts and figures. The description can be about anything; a place, person, or thing. The writing does not include any real-life events or stories so unnecessary details are not at all needed. The central purpose of descriptive writing is to form a picture in the mind of the readers.
Students should know how to write a descriptive essay in a way, so they can enhance their writing skills and make the content more engaging to read. In other words, students should know how to describe a topic in detail. This type of writing also helps them learn new words and enhance their vocabulary. Moreover, they can understand the topic clearly.
Features of Descriptive Writing
- Good descriptive writing uses sensual details to give the readers an attractive picture.
- It includes figurative language such as analogies and metaphors to enable readers to understand what is being discussed.
- It uses certain adjectives and nouns to bring pictures to life and bring them into the reader’s mind.
- It must be organized according to a person’s physical description, feelings, behaviors, and thoughts.
- It must be specific, suggestive, and credible.
6 Super Steps for Descriptive Essay Writing
1. Choose a topic
Descriptive writing discusses a person, place, event, or a thing. When choosing a topic, the writer needs to make sure that he can discuss the topic in detail and convey the message to the readers. Validate the facts and figures discussed in the writing by showing pictures to the readers. In the end, you have to make sure that you’re making sense by describing everything in the paragraphs in sequential order. The introduction paragraph should start with a tone that continues in the next paragraph.
2. Create an outline
Make a structure with the details of paragraph analysis. The writing must be consistent with the structure, including paragraphs, facts, and supporting arguments.
An outline makes sure that the descriptive essay is not only organized but also serves as a guide when writing your first draft. Keep the first sketch handy when writing descriptive essays. If you want to focus on this outline as an organizational aspect, you can enhance the writing to make it more attractive for the readers.
3. Write your draft
When writing your first draft for the descriptive essay, follow the plan you’ve created, but remember that the goal is to provide the reader with rich knowledge about the topic. Keep in mind the main slogan for writing descriptive essays is to show. One of the best descriptive writing tips shared by the professional essay writers is to give a deep insight to the readers where they can hear, touch, feel, and connect with the writer. This way the readers will be encouraged to read further.
4. Write the conclusion
Summarize the entire essay by writing a conclusion. Leave a message for the readers. It’s the final part of the writing thus it should be written well so the readers can remember it for a long time.
5. Revise the essay
After completing the descriptive essay, take a break to refresh your mind. Now is the time to review your essay and read it in accordance with how the readers will perceive it. Do not forget the readers when you read the full essay. Ask yourself if the essay is making sense to you. Is there any need to rephrase a paragraph? Are the paragraphs written in chronological order? Remember to use the correct words, the choice of words will determine the point of view of the writer. The detailed information should provide readers with enough information to create an overall impression. Read the entire article again and again to correct any errors in your descriptive writing.
6. Do final touch-ups
Check your essay for any grammatical mistakes or typos. Make the necessary corrections to ensure the essay is error-free. The editors at the British Essay Writers Empire suggest to use online tools to check grammatical errors and typos before submitting your written work. Be sure to make the final product flawless and can be published without making any changes.
Descriptive Writing Tricks & Tips
- Brainstorming ideas: Before writing an article, consider brainstorming ideas. When you start writing, write a few words first that come to your mind. Compile a list to use them later.
- Use precise and concise language: Correctly choose the right words relevant to your subject.
- Choose a language of expression: Choose a language that suits you while descriptive writing. Use words that can establish a solid vision in the reader’s heart. Make the description fascinating.
- Leave a clear impression: Leave a clear impression and produce a deep appreciation and familiarity with the reader.
- Stay aware: Do not fall into an emotional trap. There is a logical support for each argument to convince the readers.
Now that you know what is descriptive writing, make sure to use these tips as they will help with descriptive writing to make you a good writer. More readers will be drawn to you and they will have a clear understanding of the topic when you will describe something in your own words. If you still feel difficulty in writing, you can seek descriptive writing help online from professionals who can write flawless essays for you.